View Single Post
      07-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #22
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Don't waste your time on that TP-Link. It's nothing more than another fancy repeater.

The suggestion by Not_Judy is what you want to consider doing with running Ethernet out to the pool house. You want to do a conduit. Probably a 2" would be best with a chase rope to facility pulling any new cables through the conduit. This will allow future cable runs without any hassle. If you opt to do this, pull at least 2 runs of Cat6a. In the grand scheme of things, the cabling is a minor part of the cost compared to the labor involved in pulling/laying down the cable. Next, I would use a unified wireless system and not a wireless router made to work as an AP or an independent AP. A unified wireless system will allow centralized management of the system and the APs added to the network will operate as a true unified fabric. Not some cobbled together system trying to fake being a unified system. In addition to centralized management, a unified wireless system will allow real roaming between APs and proper RF management. An example of such systems are Ubiquiti, Meraki, Aerohive, and Aruba Networks IAPs.

If the above doesn't work for you and you have a good clear line of site to the pool house, you can do a wireless mesh system. With the above products I've mentioned, you would use two APs with external antenna capability. Install a directional antenna on the exterior of both buildings aimed at each other. The antennas would then be wired to the APs inside of both buildings. The wireless backhaul would be over 5GHz and at the pool house the wireless clients would connect over 2.4GHz. This provides the best optimal wireless mesh configuration.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

PS....I used to do consulting for Federal Agencies with wireless projects like this.
What this guy said!
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50