View Single Post
      12-23-2019, 04:04 AM   #1162
pajdos1
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI 318i (N43)

Hello,
I decided that share there about story of my N43 318i 2009. I apologize in advice for a long post, but every owner or future-owner must to read!
It was a Touring with 130tkm (81t miles) on lower springs and 18" alu rims.
I bought it from police cop as a top condition and service only in BMW dealer. History service: all injectors index-11, new catalytic converter, new spark pulgs, coil packs and some rubber things in suspens ionsystem...All was fine with a good price...5200Ł. In a short time..4 months...I found an engine oil in cooling system. The cooling system was aerated permanently and sounds like you turn on the dishwasher from your's wife kitchen. Because I don't trust any services and official BMW services not at all, I decided to repair at home. My suspicion was broken cylinder head sealing or cracked head. So, I provided chemical test on CO2 in cooling system - resolution positive. "Okay, that will be easy," I told to myself. Friend gives me information about ISTA, INPA NEWTIS and lent me timing tools. Lets demounting... Resolution?....All cylinder head bolts M10 were overtightened by somebody before and all threads was deadly damaged. Friend-mechanic provided me a cylinder-pressure test with good resolution, changes valve seal rings preventively, contact surface of cylinder head was lightly resurfaced on father's milling machine. Okay and what about these damaged threads? Father is an experienced CNC milling guy and decided use an V-Coil or Helicoil thread repairing set. Bought another drills, tip of one drilling tool was improved for a precisely drilling with hand drilling-machine. In final was made all new M12 threads into the block of engine and use the V-Coil inserts. That made an original diameters of threads with better durability. These inserts was tested by myself for durability and over-tightening. !IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO DAMAGE IT BY OVER-TIGHTENING! Best thing, recommend it all to you. Next thing was...both camshafts had a damaged surface. Bought another from crashed car. Next step - eliminate all carbon from intake valves before mouting cylinder head back. Best way after some experiments is: use some decarboniser additives for petrol (BG, in Czech is well VIF Super Benzin Aditiv), fill the intake chambers to top and let work for 24hours. After 24 hours remove the cleaner and clean the chambers by tough tooth brush, compressed air....tramtadadaaa... valves are like new. Of course, sandblasting is more quickely, but I'm not possible to do it at home. So, cylinder head was mounted back, cooling system cleaned from oil, all works well. Car was going well. But with higher consumption (31mpg). Once winter day during driving the engine was overheated....electric water pump goes out. Next day I bought a new Pierburg, Thermostat too... after replacing there is all ok again. But consumption still bad...BAD!!!! Bad NOX-sensor discovered!! After these all I not agreed with expensive OEM NOX sensor. Bought from Aliexpress, resolded it at home, replaced and coded at home. Great. Works, consumption drops down. But very annoying on this stupid NOX system is regeneration with stupid rege. conditions - drive 110kmh and higher, min. 1/2 in tank and drives for 30 minutes. After some time I discovered the low capacity of NOX-catalytic converter. He fills at maximally 400mg of sulphur and needs to provide regeneration. (new fills about 3000mg of sulphur). Fortunatelly, on www.bimmerprofs.com exsist an NOX emulator, called NOXEM...for N43 i'ts NOXEM-130. Thanks God for it. After replacing the NOX sensor by NOXEM is all okay, consumption is much better (about 47mpg on winter tires), engine has more power and is more agile. In this summer I replaced the timing chain, guide rails and tensioner preventively. Unfortunatelly, after opening the engine, I saw that these replaced camshafts are going to damage again...WHY??!! Woalaa, oil spray tubes over the camshaft were clogged by pieces of carbon. So I remove them, cleaned microholes by old guitar string. Tubes was clogged heavily, so I gives him wellness in a hot solution of sodium hydroxide. That removes all carbon, than I provide test of full-working...passed. Remounting all back and now, for a long time I drives without some problems. Oh, sorry...I forgot that I have N43...From bought the car accelerates bad on 1st gear during clutching...like jumping, very annoying...Sometimes was not possible to accelerate. Long time I was looking for mistake...bad flywheel, bad transmission, bad drive shaft...No, all was okay...There was going out Camshaft sensors!!!...bought VDO/Continental aftermarket...problem solved. Oh...and forgot a dead battery...now is in the car an AGM Exide Ek950. Now I am planning for next spring replace the oil pan gasket (leaks) and rear brakes - include parking brake renovation. Now I have 97 500 miles on the clock. Some pics under. I wish everyone Merry Christmas!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0