View Single Post
      02-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #38
jwh335i
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkygn View Post
Well, MaxLife's info cutsheet no longer lists Dexron VI compatibility, so I'd be a little hesitant to use it, honestly.

For that matter, it doesn't say it meets Shell M-1375.4 specs anymore either...

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1

Horse's mouth, up there.

I think if I had the GM tranny I'd stick with a Dexron VI fluid, just because I can't imagine it being *less* finicky than my ZF... I do use Mercon SP for my ZF tranny, but only because I saw that post linked previously with the Blackstone Labs analysis calling it and the BMW OE fluid effectively identical.
Just FYI, but the M-1375.4 spec is indeed listed on their product information page :

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1

Just like one of the other posters, I refuse to ripped off by the outrageously excessive prices for ZF fluid, I have used Valvoline Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF in my 2007 335i for over 40,000 miles now, shifts flawlessly at 140,000 miles. And you can buy at Walmart/Autozone/etc for pennies as compared to getting the shaft from ZF. What a bald-faced lie they promote: only their fluid and no others, what a crock of BS. At this point, it would really be a shame to pay ZF prices because Crevier BMW offered me a measly $2500 on trade-in. I thought about it but the car runs flawlessly : no problems for years now, which is surprising because an incredible number of eff-ups were covered under warranty. The 2007 335i models are not known for their reliability. Luckily, it was a CPO or I would have been out many $ thousands on the assorted repairs it has required.

The other thing I like about Maxlife is that, like most tranny fluids, it is dyed red. That way you know right away if you have a transmission leak. ZF should have done the same as I did have a leak under warranty but didn't know it was tranny fluid until the dealer fixed it.
Appreciate 0