View Single Post
      01-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #25
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Would bimmerretrofit even let you change the VIN for these?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Does the spec call for cat6? i imagine shielded cat5 would be okay...

As for reverse engineering the retrofit adapter? there is really not that much to it. it has two canbus interfaces, one running at 100kbps, one running at 500kbps, and it acts as a filtering gateway from one to the other. You need to filter out anything that would communicate the VIN, as we'll be running a different vin on the nbt/atm than in the car.
Beyond that, we just need to hope that the messages are the same between the cars. attach a canbus signal monitor to both kcan1 and kcan2 on the adapter... send a steering wheel command, and see if the message and headers are the same. turn the idrive wheel, etc...

you'd need whatever arduino to have enough digital inputs as well to read from the CIC dash control panel, which has 8 buttons, 6 of which are touch-sensitive, and one volume/power knob. should be relatively easy to reverse engineer that, as i believe it is direct wires to each button.
BimmerRetrofit charges $89 to 'reactivate' their adapters to a different VIN. I can understand locking to a VIN as a way to avoid Chinese clones, but they should allow free swapping to a different VIN, at least on a limited basis of something like once a year. To charge almost a hundred dollars is a money grabbing ripoff!

E-series cars are BN2000 while F-series cars with NBT are BN2020, the messages need to be transformed. This is in my opinion why the adapters for E-series are so much more expensive, they need to do a lot of research to determine how to transform the messages.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 1
Nickco431457.50