SAVAGE_VT_E92
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi Coupe

Garage List
07 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
How did you drop that in there? It seems pretty hard unless you put it in place and bumped it well with the solenoid. Either way this o ring definitely landed probably all the way down by the sprocket for the crankshaft. You can see in this picture how the chain is setup kinda. I would like to check for you but then I'd have to start taking apart this thing in the stand. I think the bore scope is a great idea and then you could just fish it out with a stiff metal cable or something. Best option

EDIT: I just tried to put the solenoid back and realized exactly how you dropped it in lol. Very easy to do actually if you don't put the O ring right on that step area that it has in the middle of the solenoid. That would have sucked big time. Someone has to have had this happen before and not even realized they're missing the o ring.
Yeah it was too easy to lose! I installed the other one by the same method so I figured I knew what I was doing. Had some fairly thick gloves on since the engine was still warm and I think that was part of the problem... couldn't exactly feel when the ring was seated and then it was too late.

I'm planning an early morning trip to Harbor Freight (in my gf's car) for a bore scope and will post my results.

I also found this picture of an e90 oil pickup and judging by the screen and its surface area, I'm feeling pretty certain that this o-ring wouldn't cause any problems if it is indeed in the oil pan. If it landed there intact, I don't think it could actually fit into the return tube judging from the picture.