10-28-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
bmw have informed me that it does not do the performance brake kit for the 335 as it is no different to the original equipment (except for the obvious drilled/grooved discs) and that also goes for the 135i
Hi Acerboo,

It's true that BMW are not fitting the kits to some of the larger engined models but that doesn't mean they can't be fitted and whoever advised you that this was because the Performance Brake Kit was 'no different to the original equipment' on a 335 was talking twoddle.

The standard e92 335i/335d use a single piston sliding caliper and vented disks with plain face, so the Performance Brake Kit would offer an immediate improvement in specification: Straight away you would have six pistons clamping the pads to the disk (instead of one) - giving better alignment of the pads to the disk, more stopping power and better pedal feel (especially if you fitted Goodridge braided hoses in place of the OEM rubber hoses). There would also be less chance of brake fade (if you use the brakes on track) due to greater heat dissipation across the larger caliper area. Last but not least, as the new calipers are made from aluminium you would also reduce unsprung mass. The drilled, slotted and vented design of the disks also offer advantages over the original plain face vented disks.

Granted, upgrading a 135i would make less sense (as that model already has the 6 piston calipers) and the only real advantage there would be to move to the drilled, slotted disks and upgrade the pads and hoses.

I guess it all depends what you want to do with the car and what your expectations are for stopping power and brake control. IMHO: If you just fit the Tarox disks and retain your standard single piston calipers then you will not see the full benefit.

If you are interested in having the BMW BBK fitted to your car then speak to Ant at Speed Religion - he has fitted the full kit onto my car and the only other brake upgrade I might now want would be the Pagid pads.

http://shop.speedreligion.net/about-...ontact-1-w.asp

HTH

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0