Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Strange Intermittent Starting Issues

Cross posting from 1Addicts because this gets more traffic

So I started having issues starting the car and I'm stumped. I bought a new TYC brand starter off Amazon since it was well-rated. All was well for like a week. Started having issues again. Figured it was a faulty aftermarket starter so I dropped the cash on the Bosch, same thing (although it's partially alleviated).

What's happening is the starter will turn strong for a second or two, then stop before the engine has a chance to start. This will happen like 1-5 times before I get a full solid crank and it starts. It's not always consistent though - I can get in and start it with an immediate strong crank 5 times in a row. Then the next 5 times I'll have to let it fail and retry before it starts (but it always does). Sometimes when it fails I can hear the starter continue to turn but it's not engaged with the flywheel

On top of the starting, I hear a relay clicking from the passenger side of the dash when I try and fail to start it, and sometimes on shutdown after a drive. Maybe my CAS relay? I don't know much about that system.

Battery is a relative new (few months) H8 lead acid that was coded and registered. Battery is at 12v and alternator charges fine around 14. Might have O'Reilly's load test them. Maybe looking toward my engine ground straps. It's a Florida car so it never saw salt but I've seen firsthand what the humidity can still do to metal.

edit: found someone describing my exact symptoms and they needed a new CAS module, hmmmm

Last edited by desertman123; 05-26-2022 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0