03-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
Do you know if it is polish aluminum of chrome???? One way to tell is to rub a little polish with a yellow applicator on the wheel. If the applicator turns black then it is polish aluminum. If it doesn't then it is probably chrome. Your wheels might also be anodized wheels. You might have to check with the manufacturer.

Chrome wheels could stand some strong wheel cleaner (even acid base) but I would not use IronX on it since it might dull the finish. Chemical Guys Diablo and Amazing Roll-off are the products I use to get most wheels clean. When all else fails, I break out the Meg D140. All of these products could be dilute to suit your needs and quite economical in the long run.

Un-coated Polish Aluminum is the most susceptible to dulling or staining by strong cleaning agents. Use a cleaner that is safe for all wheels (including un-coated metal). CG Diablo and Amazing Roll-off. I normally stay away from IronX for Polish Aluminum.

Soap and water might not be enough to get everything off. All above mentioned products are not "magic in a bottle". It still requires work on your end with some good quality brushes and time.

If you really want to do this right.... you should clean the wheels while they are off the car. You will have a lot more leverage when they are flat on the ground. You could also clay them with ease at this stage. Once they are clean, you should layer several coats of a high temp tolerant sealant or a coating such as Opti-coat on them. This will make them so much easier to clean next time around.

Good luck.
Thank you for this long write up, ill be staying away from iron x and sonax now
I was thinking of using CG diablo to clean it since its a gel but I hear from everyone that its only for light to medium brake dust. But speaking of CG products, do you think I can use jetseal on the rims? Or do you think rim wax will be enough?

A buddy of mine told me just to use warm water and dawn dish soap diluted to 1:20 ratio to clean my wheels. (1 part soap, 20 parts water) and it should do the trick. The only thing I absolutely hate doing is cleaning and waxing mesh wheels. Its extremely tedious and time consuming but that's my fault for getting these wheels lol.

I was always told to set apart 1 full day to do a full detailing every month and I'm definitely going to start now since I have a fresh paint job and new rims. Thanks for the response!
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0