View Single Post
      07-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #57
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Since I started driving in the early 1970s I’ve almost always had and used a radar detector. Except the last 5-8 years. Two things changed. One, I slowed down when I figured out the added stress of very high speeds, extra fuel burn and time for stops, and added risks including tickets (which also take a long time to get, negating time savings from speeding) just don’t make sense much any more for me. Two, they don’t seem to be as effective as patrolmen use other techniques and technologies more and more. Add to those that a patrolman can spot a radar detector, laser detector or jammer and a stop turns ugly when they do.

I drive a lot of miles on all kinds of roads, I’ve jut found that staying to about 10% over is pretty safe, staying “situationally aware” helps a lot, and Waze is great for the stationary cops on well traveled routes (with lots of Waze users).

And my wife hates the beeping (V1), so I just put it away and haven’t taken it back out. No tickets in over 10 years, so for me I guess I’ve found a good balance.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50