View Single Post
      09-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #80
JonathanC
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330i se pre lci

Thanks everyone. Just completed this on my n52, hopefully that puts the serpentine belt saga behind me.

My car had the newer style seal which meant the removal tool didn't work. I attacked the seal carefully with a screwdriver from below, tapping the screwdriver with a mallet just under the radiator. Once I'd made a big enough gap I levered it from the block side and it eventually slipped half way out. I then levered it from the pulley side to get it all out. No need to butcher it from above or the sides, one big dent in the metal is all you need.

My Nielsen fitting tool would not accommodate the plastic sleeve with the bolts in place. The bolts stood too far proud of the tool. I trimmed the plastic sleeve with tin snips. I took off more than I needed making it fiddly to fit the seal, but I'm reasonably confident I got it. The plastic seal actually goes over the end of the pulley which is clever.

I used permatex ultra gray rather than the expensive stuff. Will report back in a few thousand miles.
Appreciate 0