07-13-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio
I know this post will be moved to the wheels and tires section, but I feel like more people will read it here before it's moved. Be aware!

I got a nice screw in my new 18" sport package tire. I took it to a couple of Tire Kingdoms and 2 local tire places and none offered run-flat repair service. Tire Kingdom sent me to a specialty store owned by Tire Kindom called TK Performance. They are more specialty aftermarket rim oriented. Anyways, they charged me $45 to patch my tire because he claimed it was more difficult to remove the tire from the rim. So, I watched them repair the tire and it's done the exact same way they patch a standard tire. They place the tire on the same mounting/unmounting machine. It wasn't more difficult. I came to the conclusion that maybe the tire pressure monitor sensor might have something to do with the extra cost. That it had to be remounted. Well, when they finished the work, I got in my car to leave and noticed that the monitor light was still on. The mechanic told me to drive it for a couple of days and it should reset itself. I didn't believe him so I read the manual. It states that the pressure sensor isn't really a sensor in the wheel at all, but a system that monitors wheel spin and if it notices an inconsistency from the left to the right, i assumes it's a change in tire pressure. There I learned about how to initialize the system.

So now I really feel duped! I payed a "stupid tax". And I was never offered tire insurance by the dealer (or I simply didn't notice it on paperwork), otherwise I would have bought it. In fact, when I called my local BMW service department, I was told that you can't patch a run-flat and the only thing I can do is purchase a new one for $340 mounted.

Is this rediculous, or is it just me? There should at least be a disclaimer on the vehicle so that at least you know what you're getting into.

I know $45 is better than $340, but it shouldn't be this way. Between this and hearing that these 18" runflats last 10-12k miles, adding over $1000 a year to the cost of ownership. It's like knowing your car payment is $100 more per month.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated and am now, steering clear of screws and nails.

Let me know what you guys think.

you might want to check if you can patch up a run flat. For regular tires, as long as it's not on the sidewall, then you can patch it. But yea...45 bucks is a lot better than 340. hope you feel better and go