View Single Post
      03-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
Bmwfixerguy
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeanor10 View Post
Good news guys. I solved the problem; it was an absolute beeotch, but it's done. The lower u-joint in the intermediate shaft was partially seizing. Exactly what I thought. I had to take off the i-shaft completely. When I looked inside of it I saw that the rubber surround inside the actual joint was broken up. So I peeled all of that out, following that I dumped a bunch of Lucas Oil (if you don't have any go get some! It rocks) which is tacky but very lubricating so it sticks in that joint, just make sure you get plenty in there.

So essentially dropping the subframe hyper extended that u-joint and kinked it so it was binding up. Problem is 100% solved now and my steering is back to the nice firm buttery BMW way. So happy!

As a note, this is a pretty damn difficult job... like I said I am not an expert mechanic but I do know some stuff and it took me a good 6 hours. Also make sure you check if the u-joint is actually busted, as in the metal not just the rubber shroud. This is very important because if it's actually broken you will need a replacement and lucas oil will not do the trick.
It pays us 1.5 in the dealer
Appreciate 1