View Single Post
      03-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #29
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Glad to see you are having fun with your car, better yet Legal fun.

I put a crap load of miles on me N52 powered car and the engine was a dream, I really liked the throttle response and broad power band, with a good tranny tune it was simply a joy to drive. In some respects it was more fun than my N54.

What are your goals here? learning to drive quicker is HUGE but are you looking to win races in a class or build a speed demon? Last time I checked a 3 liter NA motor pulling a 3,500 lbs car is never going to be a speed demon. Win races it could. It's been a very long time since I've been at a track and the rules have probably changed 100 times since then, but constancy used to win races. No point in breaking out a 13.5 sec quarter when you were set to run 14.0s.

Looking at your mods, there is little you can do with the car to make it substantially quicker, I did a quick check on the NHRA rules for drag racing and changing the intake manifold pushes you into Super Stock.
Like a mentioned, it been a billion years since I've done any of this and maybe they turn a blind eye to BMW manifold swaps.

Do you have any tracks in your area that have turns in them? Straight lines get boring really quick.
I’m just a tinkerer who likes making things better. I spent the last 6 years extensively modding a Jeep rubicon which I pronounced finished about 6 months ago and then bought this car to DD. But tinkering is in my blood now and I couldn’t leave it alone. I have done track events which my favorite was driving a M2 on the road course at PBIR, where the drag strip I ran is. After the M2 drive I was amazed and did a bunch of suspension mods to the E92 discussed here to get that kind of handling. (The usual stuff Performance Suspension, M3 parts, camber mod by ovaling out the strut mounts, etc.)

I have also autocross this e92 and will be doing so again soon I agree the road course and Autocross is a lot of fun.

So the point is just tinkering and problem solving. Trying to make the car better and doing things differently. I guess there really is no point. One goal I have had in mind was trying to see if I could make this at close or equal to a stock E46M3 in performance parameters. Like a personal challenge. I always liked that car but the looks and comfort of the E92 won out so making the E92 an equivalent to one of the best cars of all time, E46M3 is a challenge I gave myself. One of the performance parameters I’m looking to beat is reliability and maintenance costs btw. So I’m not willing to compromise reliability or comfort to get there.

Once I feel this car is as close to a stock E46M3 as I can get I’ll probably start tinkering with something else!

Edit: just FYI E46M3 on average Joe driving are like 13.6 @ 103 more or less so that would be a goal here to get close to that. I still feel I can get to 13.8!

Last edited by Biginboca; 03-04-2018 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0