View Single Post
      06-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
Yes it is more common i believe as it uses the same setup as the troublesome n47 (4cyl 2l d) Not as common but could be due to production numbers of 4cyl vs 6 cyl
There does seem to be more issues with the 4-cylinder engine. There is the suggestion that it is at least partly due to the torque pulses of the engine, similar to the way a DMF will also take a bigger hammering with a high torque, low cylinder count. 6-cylinder engines help smooth out torque with three pulses per revolution, rather than just two.

Having the timing gear at the back of the crank, along with the flywheel/torque converter, I do wonder if the vibrations, torque pulses, even the possible change in harmonics, are putting extra stress on the timing gear and chains.

It is suggested shorter oil service intervals can help, as some failures do indicate wear is involved. The other factor could be how an engine is driven. Like the DMF issue, some drivers of a given model can drive over 100k miles without a DMF failure, whereas another driver gets through DMF's in very short order.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0