06-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
We all thought that 6 cylinder diesels were bullet proof.
We were wrong as within few months we have heard 4 6 cylinder engines (3 E9x and one E7x).

Really Sad. I never tried Merc or Audi and I wonder if timing chain failures are common on those brands as well?
Mercs are nigh on bomb proof however I've got a 320 CDI in the workshop where a turbo seal let go the cars sadly lunched it's turbo and in the process wiped the engine out. On the Mercs they ensure a couple of good housekeeping rules from the outset.

1/ service intervals are in terms of mileage /time are more old school they count down in miles/days it's on the dashboard and it'll be there in your eye line every time you drive. If you chose to ignore the info on the dash then it's at your own risk as a driver. I like that as you know where you stand.

2/ Chains on petrol Mercs are an issue they don't seem to break, they stretch, the drive gear teeth get knurled but the beauty here is compared with the BMW equivalent they are more tolerant of the problem, downside on petrol Mercs is the cost of repair as they are financially a lot more involved than the equivalent BMW.

Diesel wise they just seem to be simply more durable though I know parts cost on the Merc Diesels are more money and more time to put right than BMW's should you face a problem again.

But yer right Sam, the 4 cylinder are well documented, the 6 cylinders are coming out the woodwork rather stealthily.

Last edited by old grey steve; 06-17-2015 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 1