View Single Post
      05-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #31
Rockon
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi

Hi folks, I know this post was centered on a RWD swap and ends with just changing fluids.

Here's my situation: 2008 328xi | 182k miles

Trifecta of lights (4x4,Brake,DTC)
Codes are all the ones listed - 5F3A Internal Failure, 5463 Faulty Mechanism, A0B5 road speed signal,

Here's what I have done:
- took to Indy and he said motor failed all tests (?) offered an $1,100 job to install new actuator and fluid change or $1,400 for sourced(used) TC swap and fluid change (as mine did have some seepage/leak). This leads me to believe its just the actuator at issue, car seemed to drive fine and I assumed was just in RWD at that point - some but very little noise.
- I decided to see if I could handle it, so I bought a full TC w/actuator from an under 90k mile car since mine was at 182k - i didn't want to rule that out
- First to see if just the actuator I swapped that in (used my resistor as I know those are matches to the TC)
- Does not seem to be the issue as car made very loud grinding sounds now and actuatlt went to limp mode which had not happened before
- I also did try to "reset" the computer for VGT replacement with my Foxwell NT510
- Also getting a new code for Resistor Calibration
- So not sure if the "reset" triggered the 2 new faults above

My thoughts are that since I replaced the actuator and cleared the VGT codes, that the original actuator was working but dormant/off due to the codes. New actuator also did what it was supposed to now that the codes were cleared and trying to actuate the TC.

Questions:
1. does this sound logical and its the TC thats shot?
2. is there a way for me to isolate it if its the TC?
3. if i unplug the actuator (VGT) and grinding continues - can I assume its the TC?
4. if i swap the whole TC w/actuator in - what resets do I need to do?
5. since I had/have a slow leak (not even drips reallY) over time would low fluid be causing all of these issues - could be too late to just replace/refill

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Appreciate 0