View Single Post
      11-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #28
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stari335 View Post
Why people just throw shit on the car especially these aggressive tunes and think its all good is beyond me. Where were all the JB safeties to save it? Oh right they don't really do much to save the motors. This is becoming more and more of an occurance it seems in the last while and ut points to me to a couple of things including not logging and not working with someone knowledgable to build your tune. Why the hell would you run a JB these days anyways other than maybe gauges in map 4? Take that crap off the car and get mhd and a custom tune and log if you'll push!
Do you even realize when using a backend flash (like this guy and EVERYBODY running JB4 with E50 and up) the flash tune is doing EVERYTHING but boost control (which is absolute and more controllable as its not dependent on load tables). None of your safety points have any validity unless using the JB4 ONLY. With the backend flash its just a VERY GOOD boost controller whether a stock turbo car or 800whp single turbo car. Your safeties with the backend flash + JB4 are exactly the same with flash only (knock sensors, o2 sensors etc and DME controlled timing/fueling/limp mode adjustments). The only difference is the JB4 also throws you in MAP 4. There is nothing safer with flash only. There is NO tuner more capable or safety conscious than Terry (yes for flash tuning and N54 tuning overall) if you use HIS e85 backend flash with recommended hardware. A custom tune is only going to get more aggressive as the backend flashes aren't particularly aggressive. I haven't seen an OTS tune yet with timing and overall tables as sorted as the backend flashes (I copy or mimic a lot of his tables for my FLASH ONLY use). In other words if the car was running lean and the DME didn't do anything with JB4+backend flash it wouldn't have done a damn thing under the same conditions with flash only.

The problem is a 124k mile car smoking and burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles with admitted lack of monitoring (logging). How is a custom tune or flash only making this safer. Those issues needed to be sorted, car tuned back to stock and driven as little as possible until fixed.
Appreciate 1