06-25-2022, 10:25 PM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
The haptic sensor has really evolved in 2 years. Originally I had a big issue with false rain detection, which was common at the time and generally blamed on vibrations getting to the sensor, and the recommended fix was to ensure that the mounting situation was properly rigid. But that wasn't my problem as I'm on steel pipe on a block fence and that puppy doesn't move, vibrate, nada. This went on for a few months and was generally only a problem in severe winds, which are super common here in the spring.

Eventually they got it sorted out and were able to tune out whatever was causing it from their end (Weatherflow peeps), and I haven't had a false rain detection since. They also adjust your measured rainfall data based on a number of data points, which turns off some people but the end result is what appears to be quite accurate data for what is essentially a hobby device. And I love the lack of ANY moving parts on the entire thing, which are all failure points.
Even though the wind data I get is not representative of the true wind speeds in the area, they are accurate for the wind in my yard, which is surrounded by tall trees. And as you say, all that with no moving parts. Pretty impressive indeed.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0