04-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #27
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitos_7 View Post
Really? I couldn't find it anywhere. Not even on eBay.

There's a massive thread on BITOG, discussing that the current Mobil 1 formula. I'll find it later and I'll pm you, even the guy working at Autobarn in Doncaster told me this 3 years ago that Mobil 1 is not fully synthetic.

Mobil 1 was once made from PAO ( Group IV) base stock. They switched to a mix of base stocks. They claim VISOM base stock acts very similar to PAO based oils.

True fully synthetic oils are Royal Purple and as you mentioned German Castrol (I think it comes in a green container or I might be wrong and it's actually black container as you mentioned above)
Yeah redline was being distributed in Australia by one of those major muscle car parts suppliers a few years back (someone like rocket by memory?) and GLL lubricants in Sydney are grey importers of redline also. GLL prices arent too bad, I imported my own redline transmission fluid though..

Hmm that's interesting re the mobil 1 no longer be manufactured as a group IV synthetic?! any idea how long that's been going on? Their oils certainly haven't dropped in price over the years to indicate this
Appreciate 0