Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by titium
Don't really want to start an oil debate but interested if anyone can clarify (preferably a workshop or oil manufacturer rep ect):

Long life 04 vs long life 01.

It appears that long life 04 is the higher spec however it is not recommended for use outside of europe. Which then makes me question why liquimoly recommends its ll4 approved oil where ll01 and even ll01FE is spec'd (4200 oil in their lineup).
This oil appears to be one of the only oils on the market that has ll01FE spec as well as acea a5,a4,a3,b4,b5 albeit as a recommendation and not as an approval ( guessing it'd have to meet this spec to be advertised as meeting it even without the approval.... Correct me if I'm wrong?)

I'm sure either a ll1 oil or the moly 4200 would be fine at 10k km intervals (which I'm doing) but just curious on the differences. Hopefully someone in the know can clear this up as there seems to be alot of misinformation floating around the internet.
I used to use Royal Purple HPS 5W-30, now I use German Castrol 0W-30. I buy it off eBay, the seller is located in Australia and he imports them from Germany!

This oil is very popular on these forums, just to a search around and read about German Castrol.

Note that the German Castrol formula is different than the local Castrol you buy in Australia. The German Castrol is a group V, the Aussie Castrol, Motul and almost any other oil you'll buy in the shops in Australia is group IV.

Royal purple HPS is group V as well, but it's too expensive. It's a boutique oil at the end of the day.

Now in terms of longlife oil, don't even bother. Longlife oil is recommended if you're going to leave the oil in your car for longer than 10,000km. My advice would be just use non-longlife oil and change it every 8,000-10,000km

That's the one I buy:

https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/181055023070

CASTROL Edge Syntec Oil 0w30 made in Belgium aka Germany Castrol

Get Dr-Jekl opinion on this as well, he knows a lot about oil!