View Single Post
      05-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #21
Megs335
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
I was afraid you were going to say that. Junkyards in my area dont really buy 335D's (let alone E90's). I might just have to find a decent one on Copart and see if I can recoup any of the cost on parting out the rest of the car.

How likely is laser welding to help? Sanding/polishing the upper saddle wouldnt work?
You can order a motor from car-part.com from a junkyard anywhere in the country, so getting a motor to a door near you is quite easy.

You can't just sand or polish the saddle unfortunately. The issue in now the main bearing bore diameter is larger than spec because the shells spun and machined it out. The bearing bore needs to be extremely precise because the main bearing shells are actually lightly crushed when you torque the main cap on. That crush is what keeps them from spinning, the tabs are for alignment only during assembly.

Laser welding would actually build the material back up on the block so it can be remachined to the proper diameter. But if a main cap can't be purchased, then it just got much harder. The normal process is just to grind the mating surface of the main cap down a few thousandths to reduce the bore diameter, but with the ridges on the bmw caps you can't do that.
Appreciate 0