08-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #18
awenthol
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkstar9 View Post
scoundrels!

I highly doubt a "collapsed" engine mount is a thing.

I always thought the vacuum mechanism has an internal operation that does not raise or lower the mount at all. it simply increased or decreases dampening in a way that is not obvious by doing a visual inspection.

Unless a vacuum test was applied or a road test gives it away I don't see how that claim can be made.
Well sit back, because you're about to get schooled.

These are not your standard Chevy Cavalier engine mounts...these are very technical, multi-range engine vibration control device.

Cut off the end and you'll find the vacuum canister that does control the "preload" on the hydraulic damping system.

Go deeper and you'll open up the hydraulic chamber, complete with the fluid control "valving." Interesting that they're not using glycol and it's a very runny oil, so I'm going to guess that it's close to suspension fluid (I worked for one of the largest manufacturers of engine/trans/etc mounts, and we only ever used glycol in the fluid damper systems).

Go back to the top and you'll see the rubber has in fact collapsed about 10mm. Since I don't have access to a bandsaw and don't feel like cutting it down with a grinder at the moment, we're going to have to assume there is a quality issue/design flaw with the housing/rubber support that breaks. I will update when I cut the housing open (system is assembled and the aluminum is rolled over the rubber element).

Appreciate 5