View Single Post
      12-31-2009, 03:07 AM   #91
faz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2018 330i F30

Glad I did a search on this.

Our 07 328i E90 has also started to show the same symptoms of shudder in steering over the last week or two. It only has 20k miles on it, and is not our main driving car, mostly the weekend car. I have NEVER noticed this before, and it definitely was not there or I would have felt it. I am very particular about vibrations and things like that. Last week one night we arrived home and as I started to backup to parallel park the car, I felt the shudder as I was turning the steering wheel and starting to back up. That night I could repeat it over and over going either forward or backward, always happening as soon as I got off the brakes from complete stop and started to turn the wheel as the car started rolling. This behavior definitely was not there before. It hasn't been on any of my other cars ever... including our daily driver X5 with 60k miles on it.

It definitely feels like it could be low RPM related, I thought may be an idle adjustment is needed as the car has been sitting for longer periods of time and and just recently started to be parked outside in the cold (non-freezing) weather. The symptom is like engine wants to stall and it recovers. This happens after the car has been driven/warmed up for a good amount of time, and especially after a spirited drive and then stopping at a red light and starting to turn right/left through the intersection about a second after coming to a complete stop. If the stop is longer, it seems to not have this shudder. It is definitely random in nature, and reproducing it is not always possible.

I will be taking it to the dealer later next week, but I somehow don't think they will be able to find/fix the problem. I will post updates here.
Appreciate 0