08-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #386
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post
I've bought 3 pairs of different looking 20W cree LED off eBay and they all looked the same with the outer circle extremely dim. Just a warning to all the potential buyers out there, what you see online is totally different from what you will see in person. Most cameras (especially phone cameras) will make even the super dim outer circle look super bright.

Now, I bought a pair of 32W cree LED yesterday and the outer rings are slightly brighter but the inner ring became so bright that it makes the outer ring look just as dim as before. Compared to my friend's LUX V3 H8 bulbs, my inner rings are WAY brighter but the outer rings on the LUX is more evenly distributed so they are more visible in the sun. These 32W Cree LED are much closer to the LUX compared to the 20W Cree in terms of color and brightness compared. These are actually PURE WHITE like the LUX and not WHITE-WITH-HINT-OF-BLUE.

Either way, for E92 owners, what you see on the internet with the "WHITE LED" angel eyes upgrade will be FAR from what you will see in person. You will be disappointed no matter which ones you get. IMO, only way to feel satisfied is to get custom headlights work done. (On e90's, pretty much any LED will light the outer ring up.)

Cost of the bulbs in CAD:
Set #1 (20w cree per bulb, ebay - dark and curved heatsink base) = $55
Set #2 (20w cree per bulb, ebay - brighter metallic color cylinder-shaped heatsink base) = $50
Set #3 (20w cree per bulb, bought locally, looks like set #2 but just larger) = $70

Set #4 (32w cree per bulb, bought locally, mega huge heatsink) = $110
Had a Set #5 that went for like $30 per pair, rated 10w per bulb, that was way too dim, not even worth mentioning about it.

Sold all of them locally, so didn't lose much money. But i am still disappointed in all of these plug and play LED bulbs.

Like I said, even with these 32W Cree LEDs, the outer circle is still really dim especially in the sun.

Even when they are so dim, this is what my camera captures: (The brightness of the outer ring would be maybe ~30% of what you see below)

Looking through an old post. Does that means the E90 is easier to light up the outer rings compared to the E92?

Just trying to understand that comment because I have an E90 and want to get the LED.
Appreciate 0