Thread: Cams?
View Single Post
      06-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #19
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

Did you read post #13?

The question I asked was; "Do you happen to know what the lift, duration, and effective duration, of the stock cams are?"

I'm not sure why you posted all that.

Anyway, I would say that head work shows more gains on FI motors than NA versions. There's much more air flowing through the intake valves with FI. The shape of the ports are much more important on an NA motor, usually with FI the bigger the better.

Cams would allow more lift and more duration which as I'm sure you know would allow more air and fuel which would make more power. The stock valves are fine unless your going to oversize them by 1mm. Springs and retainers would certainly be a good idea however.

In the case of the N54, Double Vanos would only help to optimize a larger set of cams. They seem like a great upgrade to me. There's a shop I know of that can design custom cams. They are ground by Kelford, so you know they're quality, I would just need all the detailed cam specs that manufacturers dont like to release. Which brings me back to post #13.. I would still need ramp rates, profiles etc. but lift, duration, effective duration is a good start.
Appreciate 0