View Single Post
      08-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

458 vs Scuderia vs R8

I recently did exotics racing (http://www.exoticsracing.com/), and what a blast.

I started with 5 laps in the Scuderia, followed by 5 laps in an Audi R8, and finished with 15 laps in the 458. What a great experience!

Starting out in the Scuderia, I was just learning the track and wasn't that fast. However, I was surprised that the Scuderia seemed to have a fair amount of understeer. That made the car pretty predictable and easy to drive. What was most annoying was that the instructor I had in that car was more intent on babying the car rather than letting me push. For example, he told me to upshift at 6000 rpm, which in the Scuderia, is ridiculously early. The F1 transmission was actually smoother than I thought it would be.

Second, I switched to the R8. All I can say is what a disappointment. The handling was pretty good - precise, composed, balanced. But it was quite slow, the steering was numb, and the dual clutch transmission was the worst automated manual I've driven. It was rather boring. I thought it would be better.

Finally, I hopped in the 458. After hearing all of the press, my expectations were quite high, and I wasn't sure it would be able to meet them. However, the blew past my expectations. What an amazing car! The exhaust note is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. When you floor it coming out of a corner, it's like you're shot out of a cannon. The handling was a little sharper than the Scuderia, with just a bit of understeer. The 458's dual clutch transmission is the best implementation of an automated manual I've driven. Downshifts are much faster than the M3 DCT, and there's no annoying slow speed assistant.

Unfortunately, they had the car in sport mode. In this mode, the traction control is a bit intrusive. When exiting a corner, if you have the steering wheel turned past roughly 10:30 or 1:30, even if you nail the throttle to the floor, the system only gives you ~40% power. Once you straighten out the wheel, the car will then give you 100%. This wasn't the case in the Scuderia, and I assume that if you have the car in race mode (or TC turned off obviously), this wouldn't be the case either.

By the time I was in the 458, I knew the track and was able to get towards the limits (of my ability). I think that with more time and the car in race mode or TC off, I could shave a few more seconds off of my laps. The car is just so responsive and reacts quickly to the driver's input. This is without a doubt the most thrilling car I've ever driven.

If you've ever wanted to drive Ferraris, Lambos, etc., this is a great way to do it.