View Single Post
      03-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
nomile
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi; 318ti

Just to echo what some have said:
- replacing fluids is likely a good idea if you plan to keep the car for a while. I did diffs & Mtransmission at 70k, xfer case at 85k
- Using an open wrench and piece of 14mm allen-key (from socket or other) allows you to remove the fill plug without removing the crossmember. Just have to move the plug a bit, flip over the wrench, move some more. Repeat. You only get 10-20degrees of movement each time, but still very easy.
- Will need a transfer pump. I used a cheap screw-in pump like you would have on ketchup/soap. Harbor Freight sells something that fits the bill. The big syringe suction pump would also work well
- Use the BMW fluid unless you feel like experimenting with an expensive piece of hardware.
- I had to reset my xfer case control using BT cable. Initially I didn't, but after I drove about 1 mile, the dash lit up like a christmas tree with warning lights, I felt the transfer case clutch open up (subtle jerk under acceleration), and my heart did a backflip. Turned around, reset, no problems since. I think that there is a method of measuring (electrochemically) the state of the fluid, and that this has to be reset, but not certain.

All in all, this job is not much harder than the rear diff, but smaller motion required, and need to reset. Using PITS200 scale, I'd say a 2.5/10

I thought the front diff was a bigger PITA b/c of the plate that covers the diff. I guess I never tried to do the front diff without removing the plate... is that possible?
Appreciate 0