View Single Post
      02-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF_E90 View Post
As per my whinge a couple of weeks ago, my 2007 (N53 engine,ED) 330 had a coil pack fail recently, at 22k miles and one month out of the manfacturer's warranty. Another had also failed exactly one year earlier. Given that I had already purchased the Gold level enhanced warranty (that only comes into effect on 15th Feb) BMW paid half the bill, which was still £150.

Well today the engine management light came on again, with the same symptoms (obviously running on 5 cylinders) at the end of a drive. Thank god, it started as normal on the next start - I use the car a lot for work and have some vital meetings a long way away tomorrow.

Which begs some questions. Can they play up before failing? I would assume they were working, or not. Can anything else cause them to fail? Both times it has happened after a fairly spirited DCT-on drive - but nothing like a thrashing.
The car generally has a fairly easy life of long journeys and no town driving as my 34-36 mpg average attests. And how much work is involved in changing all the coil packs? The £150 bill as "half" the price for one took me aback - what would an indie charge to do the lot?
Sounds like your havin a nightmare!!

I'm currently selling genuine BMW Bosch coils, still in the box. They fit any new generation straight six which includes your car.

Steve above has allready has a couple of me. I've got 3 left @ £20 each + p&p. Have a look in the classified section for detials and pm me if intersted.

Cheers

H
Appreciate 0