View Single Post
      02-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #146
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep
Drives: Quick enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post
Is an effort underway to try to crack? Or is the market not big enough to warrant the effort (assuming the latter )

I know Cobb has full access for the N54 but is taking a lot longer for the N55 - does the us-spec 335d fall into the same boat as the N55 at this point?

And what is different about US vs Euro model exactly? It doesn't make sense that one has 'stronger' encryption for no reason?? Do they think people in the US tend to 'tune' their car more? Is that even a safe assumption?

Damn - b/c if there was a remote option, I CAN GUARANTEE tons more people would go for it. Probably 10 to 20 times more - given that few are local and even fewer will want to remove and ship their ECU, although in all honesty, its quite simple - save for the down time even when minimized with overnight shipping.

ANYONE get a price on an extra/spare ECU - Does anyone have a part number? I'd pick one up, have it coded by and indy shop with a GT1 - then have it shipped and flashed. Not willing to have any downtime personally. Argh.

We would love to offer a remote version, but the protection on the new ECUs have simply become very difficult to unlock and it takes a lot more time nowadays unfortunately.

All US 335d have the newer ECU's, the EDC17. Euro models have the older EDC16 which has been 'unlocked' for a while. Nobody has the ability to OBD into the EDC17 yet.

You are correct in that the N54/N55 is the same thing. We have tuned the N54 for years, but the N55 is the same deal with regards to on bench ECU.

The spare ECU thing doesn't really work as the requirements to get it working with your specific vehicle are ridiculous and not something you would undertake lightly.
Appreciate 0