12-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #116
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardr85 View Post
I will be doing this soon, so I am starting to read up. This connector sounds similar to the one on the vent pipe on back of the valve cover. I have big hands and am old so my hand strength is not what it once was. I struggled with it a while, got pissed off, walked away so I would not rip it off. and ended up using a small hose clamp, opened it up, put it around the connector, cranked it down, and the hose came right off.

Just wanted to add this for future DIY'ers, this works great especially in tight places.
To back up PhaseP, the oil return line is different than the vent tube on the valve cover. Later on in this thread, I mentioned that the way most BMW techs release the oil return line is to place a big flat-blade screwdriver on the lip of the connection and smack the end of the screwdriver rapidly and forcefully with a ball peen hammer. That's what I did and the line popped right off.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0