View Single Post
      04-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #123
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Everyone makes great points. For those who have it, any feedback on the upgraded radiator?

After my discussion w/ Harold this past Tues, an upgraded radiator is most likely the path I'm gonna take. This way I don't have to throw away my investment on the AR oil cooler entirely. Only concern is that the location of the AR Oil cooler blocks air flow to the radiator, so efficiency will be reduced.

Reason I haven't ordered it yet is because it's not a drop-in fit. I mentioned to Harold that I'd be more comfortable if I drove down to Santa Barbara and had him install it for me. Since my next trip down isn't till summer, I was considering swapping out AR for Stett or EVO in the near term.

But in retrospect, financially, it makes sense to wait and do the radiator first. Who knows, that....along w/ the AR Oil cooler might just be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The problem with the automatic is that the coolant is doing double duty (cooling engine AND automatic transmission fluid), and since the coolant AND oil are both used to cool the turbos, if coolant temp goes up, so does oil temp.

So Harold is spot on. You need to upgrade your radiator too to increase the capacity for the overall system to shed heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Radiator is the key. You could place a low but wide tranny cooler on top of your intercooler. Unfortunately you'd be a guinea pig again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Per some data gathered by the supercharged E46 guys, your ZF trans fluid is at 266F, while your racing, and your car beings to go into pre-limp mode at a water temp of 235F.

Thanks, and hope to catch you next time. Yes, you're right. Despite dialing a bit more boost this time (13psi), in reality, at those oil temps, PROcede was limiting my boost to stock. My 1:49 was squeezed from stock 10.5-11psi boost (so I was still getting published, heat soaked power #s, hehe). btw, you're being modest w/ your 1:47 All NON-PRO drivers here are running their 335i in the 1:51-1:54 range, so you're the fastest time I've seen amongst us regular peeps. Stock power still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Sorry I had to miss it.

1:49 is great. You're still experiencing appreciable power loss with those temps. If you're on stock power you should be really happy with that time given you're running well below the published power #s.

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension

Last edited by orionredwing; 04-22-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0