View Single Post
      01-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
Nice job! Thank you, I'll be doing this in a month. The photos help a lot.

Just a couple of comments:

The engine cover doesn't need to be unbolted -- just pull it straight up, it has fittings that push into rubber. To re-fit, align and push down.

Turkey baster is a good idea, or if you have a vacuum brake bleeder as I do, using new pvc hose from the hardware with it would work well.

A plastic scrape tool from the hardware (paint section?) works well to scrape gasket material off (plastic doesn't scratch the aluminum.)

If you're doing this as preventive maintenance, and can pick the when, best to do it right before an oil change. That way, any contamination of the oil, you're changing it out. I'll do an oil change the next day, after I see that the gasket change is good.

You might want to also protect your serpentine belt with a kitchen garage bag draped over it. Looks like you used aluminum foil on the alternator? Smart.

When tightening the bolts, apply pressure to the gasket evenly, a bit of a turn on each, rotating around.

Wear gloves, oil and coolant, plus brake cleaner are toxic.
Well this is true but not the way it was designed to be removed. The engine cover bolts screw into a metal bracket. The metal bracket is what is attached to the valve cover using rubber grommets. The proper removal procedure is to use the bolts.
Appreciate 0