Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Not many, and not many have the time to tweak too.

However, having had several tuned cars over the years, sometimes the hobbyist can pull of amazing feats.

Sometimes the experienced engineer tuners can accomplish things that are way beyond an experimenter. I saw this with APR they had a pretty decent tune for the k04 turbo on an ea888 gen 1 engine. Then they hired a guy who was an engineer for Audi’s racing team. He took aprs tune to a whole different level in version 3.0 that transformed the car.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...em-Version-3-0!

High power increase at all rev ranges, avoided turbo surging, improved part throttle response, and etc. there is a lot more than just good Dyno numbers, particularly transient responses. It would be nice to see how various tunes compare to each other in drivability performance, fuel economy, transient behavior etc. since we have options I’d like too try some of these out.
I can say that the tune I had for my tdi was from a supposed to notch guy. When I got my mpps and started to look at the maps, it was not so special. He didn't understand quite a few tables and that's where surge issues came from (not fueling!). It's funny because everyone was convinced that the vnt couldn't correct for that but they were wrong!

Another buddy of mine has been running his 328d and he has seen a few names from the m57 tuning ( that we know of here) that were horribly done. He said JR was a good tune though.

If it wasn't so hard to get the maps for the edc17cp09, I'd love to experiment with my setup. For example, I don't like the smoke that shows up past 4k rpm. I don't care for max hp like with my tdi, I was able to make it almost smoke free and almost as fast.
What about upgrading the cam & springs? Wouldn't that get rid of smoke that we see past 4k because our cam is more emissions focused?

I know that's my next upgrade before hybrid turbos