Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswoggler View Post
This concerns me. I suspect my shop was just pulling codes and throwing parts at it.... at my expense of course! I suspect there is a deeper root cause or other issue that is putting me in engine malfunction mode. Very frustrating!

What is the best way to troubleshoot the Engine Malfunction (limp mode) issue? Would the dealership have better diag equipment and expertise over a local indy shop?

Plugging in my VIN at the BMW owner reimbursement site, my car would be covered by an EGR throttle valve repair reimbursement, but at 154k miles I am probably on my own.
Yeah. I'll have to admit I've had to deal with some complicated emissions problems on this car. Just a quick background on my situation, I purchased my 2011 D in April 2015 as a manufacturers buy back due to emissions problems. After literally every emissions component being replaced multiple times, puma cases, the US BMW master tech being flown to Houston to diagnosis..... It was fixed, under warranty.

The problem with EGR faults it is usually symptomatic of a larger issue. You'll trigger an SES on the EGR for a ton of reasons. But you have to look at the specific error codes to begin to know what to look for. EGR codes can be triggered due to bad MAF, boost leaks, differential pressure sensors, CBU, etc., etc. I would typically get EGR flow plausiblability.

so the bottom line is, if you choose to fix the problem, you'll need someone who is very familiar BMW diesels.

The limp mode is more worrying. EGR issues will not trigger a limp, I used to live with EGR issues continuously ;-). Which why once the car was fixed, and my cooler cracked (again) I just modded and eliminated.
Appreciate 0