Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by purity View Post
Technic,

if we try to custom made a sub box under the seat for SWS-10,
do you suggest making it ported like the original OEM BMW 8in sub box, or make it a sealed one...

and have you ever compared the SWS-10 and the Pioneer 10" shallow sub? Which one is better?

I remember reading your post somewhere in here saying that SWS-8 and Pioneer 8" shallow sub.On that post you prefer the SWS-8 over the Pioneer with the same size...
but how about SWS-10 and Pioneer 10"?

Thanks
Hi

I don't know if a shallow 10" will fit under the seats with a custom box, although an audio shop fitted a Morel 9" driver in a custom box there:

http://www.sound-in-motion.com/installs/bmw_330xi.html

However, they used those 9" drivers as mid bass and not subs (they have a 10" in the trunk for that).

As for using the existing OEM ports in a project like this, I would say no, as we don't know the actual characteristics of that port and we would be using a 10" in a custom box and not the OEM enclosure with an 8". So to get better control of the response of that 10" you would be using either a sealed or a ported box based on what you want out of those 10s", and in the case of ported, how and where you want to put that port in the custom box under the seat for maximum effect.

I have not have the chance yet of getting a SWS-10 and compare it with the Pioneer 10".

I still think that the best sound set up is having the SWS-8 under the seats using the OEM enclosures and a 10" sub in the trunk, for a nice blend of mid/sub bass. However, if you can get 2 10"s under the seats in a custom enclosure that could be something else, although it will be necessary to set the 10"s as mid/sub bass as the 4" mid drivers are too small to go that low for an impact (the reason of that professional setup with 9" drivers and a separate sub), IMO.

The problem with car audio is that sometimes you will need a lot of money to set your system up with several different components -trial and error- the way you would like it...
Appreciate 0