View Single Post
      05-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #97
Atsnow
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, 2010 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I have not tested a 10W6 sub in an enclosure to be giving you an honest/factual answer. However, I tested the SWS-8 and the 10" TS-SW1041D Pioneer shallow sub, both in .65 cu.ft. enclosures and that single Pioneer simply blows away two SWS-8 in their enclosures with their deep bass.

The main difference between the two is that the Pioneer doesn't "complain" when fed frequencies below 32 Hz, as the SWS-8 does. So I can feel more bass better at medium to high volume.

Unless there is a particular 8" subs somewhere that performs better than a 10", under the same conditions a 10" will always outperform an 8".

Check the specs:

10W6: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/8-12W6_BDS.pdf
SWS-8: http://www.earthquakesound.com/IMAGE...sws_manual.pdf

Don't get me wrong, the SWS-8 does its job in the 8" bracket. But compared with a 10" there's no comparison. That's the reason that there is a SWS-10... up to a SWS-15.

Thanks for your answer

I realized after checking the specs for the 10W6 that I don’t have enough power to drive it properly,

Since I’m trying not to start spending again, I looked at what I have lying around and my choices are

Subs:
Focal 27H 11” sub
JL 10W3 V2
SWS-8

Amp
Xtant 2200i (400W Rms)
Total Audio T-500 (500WRmsfor the SWS) or 350W for the others

Checking the specs of all 3 models of subs I see that the frequency response and Fs are pretty similar on all 3 , I understand that the larger displacement of a 10 or 11 inches speaker would generate lower frequencies , but for me 30hz is low enough,

I had the 10W3 in my trunk in my E46 and it was ok, I later replaced that with a pair of 27H on the rear shelf in IB and that was much better and satisfying

What I was wondering now is since the SWS-8s are in the cabin under the seat and also since their Fs is so similar to the Focals should I expect similar result especially with the amount of power I can supply them with (500W)

To the OP, Did you have Logic7 or standard HiFi?
And on a scale of 1-10 how much improvement do you feel the upgrade has given you?
Appreciate 0