View Single Post
      10-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #69
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Well that is a relief to me, I have been putting off the tranny fluid change for about a year even though I have all the ingredients. I was a bit leery of the project because I seem to have read somewhere that the transmission fluid had to be a certain temperature before you can change it. I don't have a reader which can report the tranny temp. I believe if the tranny fluid is the wrong temperature some wont come out and I could be overfilling it.
you cant realistically overfill it unless you drive it hard during the new oil warm up procedure, it will come back out once its full. It is getting the new fluid to the proper temperature that is the tricky part, not draining. You have to fill as much as you can, plug it, start the car, put transmission in drive and warm up the fluid, plus run through the gears, and fill it while the car is still running (at least, thats what worked for me) If you dont get it up to temperature you wont be able to add enough. Not hard to do though, there are a handful of write-ups around the net and I havent seen any horror stories of a botched job yet.

Last edited by Hoooper; 10-14-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0