View Single Post
      12-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #49
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaccona View Post
I am having even worse luck with my iPhones. I just acquired a CPO 2011 328xi without iDrive, and the dealer gave me a Y-cable to integrate my iPhone. Here are the applicable codes from entering my VIN into bmwvin.com:

S639A - Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S6FLA - USB/Audio interface

When I plug the Y-cable into the center console, and either an iPhone 4 or an iPhone 5/5S with Lightning-to-30-pin adapter into the other end of the Y-cable, I can't find any way to access the music on the device. The Audio menu just shows "Tuner", "CD", "Aux" and "USB". Selecting "Aux" switches to Aux but when I play a track on the iPhone, it just comes out of the iPhone speaker. Selecting "USB" displays the message "Insert USB".

I have tried this with:

- iPhone 5S (iOS7) -> Lightning-30pin adapter -> Y-cable -> USB & AUX ports
- iPhone 5S (iOS7) -> Lightning cable -> USB port
- iPhone 5 (iOS7) -> Lightning-30pin adapter -> Y-cable -> USB & AUX ports
- iPhone 5 (iOS7) -> Lightning cable -> USB port
- iPhone 4S (iOS6) -> Y-cable -> USB & AUX ports
- iPhone 4S (iOS6) -> 30-pin adapter -> USB port

I didn't expect the 2nd, 4th and 6th efforts to work, since I believe I need the Y-cable to get audio, but I tried them anyway for completeness.

I also tried all of these with and without Bluetooth enabled.

Anyone have any tips or pointers, or what am I missing?

Thanks!
Good completeness for sure, that helps. It totally sounds like you have a bunk Y cable, mind posting a picture of it?

EDIT: sorry, you said you got it from the dealer. Better questions: does bluetooth (handsfree) work in your car with either phone? Does USB work with a thumbdrive? Does the phone charge plugged into the Y cable? (You probably need to test this at both like 85-90% battery and 50% battery, it'll work at one and not the other.)