04-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I don't think that the vast majority of the potential customers for amps are looking for the very best and most expensive, just what fits their budget and get the job done cleanly and without any noise. In that order.
What that has to do with my comment, I'm not clear. As a Tru Technology dealer, I'm REALLY clear that most people don't want that.

Quote:

And if the amp can fit in the same space as the factory amp or out of the way in the trunk then much better.
Ditto.

Quote:
IMO, although the XD is the replacement of the G Series, what JL Audio have done with the radical reduction in footprint is to try to get some market from the PDX in price.
Right... I'm clear on that.

Quote:
Although in paper the HD line was supposed to be that PDX competitor the market kept the HD at almost doble the price of a comparable HD.
Technic, as a product manager, this statement is really contradictory. I would suggest that the HD was intended to break new ground for Class D, NOT to take market share from a less-expensive, and noticeably worse-sounding, competitor.

Quote:
And I don't think that anybody will be confused between what an XD can do and an HD when they are several hundred dollars apart in price.
So why care about a JL product that's priced and sized comparably to an existing product (PDX), when you haven't heard or touched it, nor is there a compelling narrative explaining why it would be any better than PDX?

I've done a lot of research on Class D ICs, and I know some of the potential SQ improvements, and I also know that the silicon dictates an awful lot of the cost and the SQ.

Quote:

I don't see anything wrong with this new approach and in this new amp...
If you haven't touched, heard, or installed one, how could you?

I'm not saying it's bad, and if you characterize my comments as criticism of the product, you'd be mistaken. I'm just very skeptical of any new product until it proves itself. Think PDX, Imprint H650, CleanSweep, etc. All nice products, all flawed as it turned out in ways unforeseen.

Whatever happened to guarded optimism?
Appreciate 0