View Single Post
      03-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #58
Last Sight
Rep
Drives: 09 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
An MS-8 is a low-power amp AND a DSP. It can drive a stock 4 and a tweeter about the same as a Logic 7/HK amp can.

If you are starting with base Stereo, the MS-8 does signal correction.

If you are starting with Top HiFi, it does summing.

But it always does acoustic self-adjusted optimization.

Now that Andy W is no longer at JBL, I have less problem saying this in public: The MS-8 has been a huge disappointment for us, we don't sell it actively any longer, we have had too many fail, we have had too many Bluetooth echo problems. We no longer use DSP in our Level One, Two, or Three systems other than in base Stereo situations, and in those systems we use other means of signal correction.

DSP as it's being used by the MS-8, the H800, the P-DSP, etc., is a way to perform several acoustic processes with minimal sonic side effects:

- Equalization
- Delaying the signal in time to compensate for different speaker distances
- crossover filtering by amp channel that uses steeper attenuation slopes than are possible in most amps
- channel-by-channel output level adjustments

The time is actually a bigger deal than the EQ.

Andy and JBL were of the opinion that DSPing a crappy speaker could make it sound like a great one. If this were true, we'd all have active-suspension cars by now, I'm afraid.
Wow, thanks. That was very helpful. I have the Hi-Fi system so I'm assuming that an amp with some nice speakers is the way to go? If true, it comes down to budgeting cost vs. quality

Edit: I read in another thread that E92s are hard to fit with speakers and most of the thread data seems to be out of date re:speakers with most people having a mish-mash of different ones...

Last edited by Last Sight; 03-19-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0