View Single Post
      01-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #246
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
I tend to agree with this. Has anyone every tired to drive without using the steering? Much less on the highway? If the connection to the wheels failed arguru would have crashed and burned. Lets all come back to reality for a minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalopnik
This is impossible. First off, the steering is not electric/mechanical like an infinity, it is regular old steering shaft/hydraulic assist.

... it has a fail safe, and, has no control over the actual steering. of the car, let alone physics.
I don't think this guy knows what he is talking about. Of all types of steering, I believe the speed sensitive variable ratio one like the Active Steering is the MOST LIKELY to cause this type of failure. Angle-dependent ratio rack like Porsche's still has a rigid connection to the front wheels, it just has a more interesting pinion gear. But as you can see from this post,

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=76

the Active Steering actually doesn't have a simple steering shaft. That is not to say that this type of failure is a certainty, I sure don't know that. But if he understood what the real issue was, he wouldn't be saying that the Active Steering is better in this regard than the electrically assisted racks because it is a hydraulic unit. We are not talking about the loss of steering assist. We are talking about the loss of steering itself.

Apart from that, it's all just anecdotal and historical generalities about BMW suspension system. Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalopnik
IMO this guy crashed his car, and is trying to pin it on BMW and the dealer as an easy out.
This is of course still a possibility. But based on what I know so far, I'm about 80% convinced that arguru is largely telling the truth. That is, there were serious error codes that dealer neglected, and his car did lose the ability to steer to a significant degree.

Whether it was a complete loss, or whether the GM really insulted him, are not terribly relevant. As long as the dealer ignored potentially serious fault codes, and as long as this type of failure is possible with the active steering, I think this story getting out serves the greater community well.
Appreciate 0