02-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #25
stephano5
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black E93 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pereze View Post
There was a test not long ago (I will have to see if I can find it) of the output of the headphone jack on the iphone. I am not sure how different the iPad is, but the overall consensus seemed to be the headphone jack was a pretty decent output.

With that said, the headphone jack gets plugged into a headphone jack in the armrest that then goes into another port on the radio and then gets output from the radio to the back of the car. It would be much cleaner (less connections and a more direct digital signal) to use an AE or ATV in the back of the car next to the amp(s) where the signal travels digitally until it is converted within a short distance to the amp/processor. There is less chance the signal is interfered with in that case (at least theoretically). You could also argue the use of a better DAC than what is in the iPhone/iPad would also increase the quality of the music.
If you have a Pre LCI 3 series OR AUX IN ONLY car there is what I believe is a work around to using the iPad/iPhone dac (which apparently are quite crap)

now I could be wrong and please correct me if I am but; an iPhone/iPad/iPod dock to 3.5mm AND 12v car charger actually means you cannot change the volume via the device but only via your deck. Wouldn't that mean the head unit is performing the conversion then? So if your head unit is of course powered by a good amp, then in this case the AMP is performing the conversion

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5MM-AUX...ht_1638wt_1180

I mean this kinda cable
Appreciate 0