04-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Omni
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi 6MT

Sunny SN3800 Non Run-Flat Tire Review

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a set of 162 18" rims to use on my E90 in the summer. I kept my 16s with Bridgestone Turanza All-season RFTs for the winter.

When I got the 162s, they has Potenzas on them with 25% or so of life left.

I noticed a loud, harsh ride with the runflats, and an unacceptable amount of travel on uneven roads. All of the things that people complain about...I didn't plan on keeping the tires due to the tread life, anyway.

I started shopping for replacement tires. I knew I wanted a non-run flat tire, and I was all set to choose between Falken, Goodyear or Pirelli.

I'm normally NOT ONE TO CHEAP OUT ON TIRES.

However...

I had just finished upgrading several things on my car, and was in the dog house money-wise with the wifey.

So I started to consider lower-cost alternatives.

And I stumbled across Sunny SN3800 made by Wanli Tire of China.

I read several reviews and one comprehensive write up from a non-biased 3rd party. They seemed like solid tires.

Anyway, I decided to buy these tires in 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 to replace the Potenzas.

I paid $60 each. (Yes, a little embarrassed).

I paid Belle Tire $150 to mount and balance. So $390 all said and done.

Here's the point of my thread:

I've had the tires on for several weeks now and I am MORE THAN IMPRESSED. They vastly improve ride quality and comfort from the RFTs. They stick to dry roads beautifully and turn on a dime. In extreme wet conditions, they cut through the water without flinching. I even deliberately drove though a few deep areas of water run-off and had no hydroplaning.

There is one negative that I need to mention. They hum when slowing down between the speed of 40 and 20mph. But there is very little road noise when cruising and no apparent hum when accelerating from a stop.

I'm sure the tread won't last nearly as long as RFTs or even other premium brands, but at the moment, I'm glad I purchased them and saved a TON of money.

Soooo.... I'll let you all know if I end up in a ditch.

Let the flaming begin!
Appreciate 0