View Single Post
      09-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #45
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJ335 View Post
WOW.. so my review on the "butt dyno" actually tricked me. Just because my throttle response on the AFE was excellent, I guess it just felt like my car was quicker in performance as well. So.. I purchased the RPI scoops a couple days ago. That proves to have 8~15 hp gains at 40+mph. Sorry to kind of thread jack, but is this advertisement true??

If this one's wrong as well, then I spent a total of half a G for nothing.. lol.
I think some of us are jumping the gun here; more dynos with different setups (e.g. tuned 335i w/ oiled aFe filter, "other" dual cone filter intakes, etc.) are needed before we can come to the conclusion that these intakes actually lose power. As my wife says, "don't give up."

However, the thing that I don't like is the fact that with these "open, in engine" intakes, they are not fully a connected and sealed box system like the oem stock intake (so the outside air comes in directly through the grill, through the snorkel, and into a closed, sealed intake box, and then through the air filter to the engine); this means that these open intakes suck a lot of hotter air from the engine bay into the engine...that can't be a good thing.

Either way, I spent $319 on this aFe intake, and I'm going to try it for a month or two; if I see more dynos (especially on cars with a similar setup as mine) that show a loss and/or feel a loss myself, then I'll remove it, and put my oem stock intake + BMC drop-in air filter back on. This sucks!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0