05-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #7
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Here are the BMW Fault Code Lookup Definition for 2E31, and the Fault Information Sheet link (which says "Cylinder 2 Injector 'A' Circuit High"), suggesting check wiring (and connector) FIRST:
2E31 | DME: Fuel injector, cylinder 2, activation | msv70
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...YAMgAyADAANAA=

BTW, Bentley has this definition for 2E31:
P0202 | 2E31 | Injector Circuit/Open - Cylinder 2

"Circuit High" can mean High Resistance (open circuit is infinite resistance, so that's pretty high ;-). You have an intermittent issue as indicated by your ISTA tests. That's more likely a wiring or connector fault than a mechanical fault with the injector itself.

I would try simply removing the Two-Pin Connector from Injector #2 and cleaning the pins & sockets with Electronic Contact Cleaner, and inspecting the wiring and connector for any damage, particularly the White/Green (Activation) wire. If you get a chance to fully-diagnose the situation, I'd be interested in knowing what the Freeze Frame Data for the 2E31 Code indicates as far as RPM and such when the Fault Code was saved. INPA will give MORE Fault Detail than ISTA (INPA > DME > F4 > F1 > F3 Read Fault Memory with FF Data), but you have to translate the German with Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&tl=en&op=translate

Please let us know what you find,
George
You're absolutely right. I went through the ISTA service plan and it wanted me to measure the resistance across the two injector pins, with the correct range being 8.7-17.5 ohms. I believe this came after the activation test where you listen for audible clicking. Now that I have a replacement injector in hand, I'm ready to take things apart and will perform this test first. I have the ISTA fault history (see below), but didn't try to get it from INPA. May try that before I start as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
check the wiring.

when i bought my car the dealer had replaced the #1 injector for the same reasons.
misfire persisted randomly.
it was the plug not making consistent contact with the pin on the injector.
some light tensioning with a pick and it's never been back for over 60K miles.
I'm trying to visualize exactly how to do this. Which direction to you tension it? To one side? Which side? Maybe doesn't matter. Or pull it out slightly? I assume this is on the injector side, not the harness side? If so, breaking it would be less of a big deal than breaking the harness. It would be great if this were the fix.
Attached Images

Last edited by drawz; 05-10-2021 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0