View Single Post
      01-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #24
nate16
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 YMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
I played around with it this afternoon and it's fantastic! Great idea to include tutorials, Libre Office, excel sheets, etc. I actually didn't know about all these tools and resources before today. The VM will in general save people tons and tons of time setting this up.

A few thoughts if there is a v1.1 release or if you create one with ISTA/P:
  • 1. default memory setting is 8GB for the virtual machine. This took down my PC that only has 8GB since it just kept swapping to disk constantly. It might be why some people have had trouble too. I set it to 2GB and all was good again.
  • 2. for some reason I had to set the network adapter to NAT instead of bridge to get internet access. Never had trouble with bridge mode in Virtualbox.
  • 3. you could consider using virtualbox to build this since it is free and supports more platforms. Just a thought. VMware workstation is free for Linux and Windows, but not OS X.
  • 4. if I wanted to create a very simple setup to use this, a lightweight linux distribution as the host with VMware workstation would be a good way to do it. Linux would use less resources than a Windows host, but adds a layer of complexity for some people.
  • 5. you could install ublock origin instead of Ad Block Plus in Chrome to save some resources as well as speed it up a bit. Very minor.
  • 6. Might be nice to have a PDF printer, like CutePDF pre-installed for "printing" from the various diagnostic tools.

7. Also, I noticed the daten files on the desktop as rars. Should these be installed by default and removed from the desktop to save space?
Thank you for the feedback! Great to get some! I'll number and address each of these points!

1. You are totally right about the memory setting. When I was using it on my other laptop to do the ISTA/P install, I had to drop it to 4gb after I realized I was maxing out the host memory. I would recommend anyone with less than 16gb of total host memory drop the VM memory down to 4gb or less.

2. This may be an issue of the way that virtualbox deals with network adapters vs how VMware does. I have no trouble connecting in either NAT or Bridge mode. However, for use of an ICOM or ENET cable, you will need to use bridge mode. For general E9x and other K+DCAN vehicles, your network settings will not affect your ability to connect to the vehicle.

3/4. I chose VMWare because I feel like it's the most stable and offers the most features. I may look into building a version with Virtualbox but at least for now, I'm going to stick with VMWare. I do however, want to get a mac to test with so that I can make sure I can get it working in Fusion as well as on PC. I think building an underlying linux host is a good idea, however, the idea behind this VM was simplicity and I feel like building it in this manner would be counter intuitive to that end goal.

5. Ublock instead of ABP -- Sure, let's give it a try. Good idea!

6. PDF Printer/CuteWriter -- Again, sure. Good idea!

7. Datens on the desktop -- I included these raw daten files in rar format for a reason. While they all are already loaded in NCSExpert, INPA, and the like. WinKFP deals best with one model series daten at a time. If you need to use WinKFP to program a module, extract that rar file and use the BMW coding tool to load it into WinKFP. There is a PDF in the help files folder on the desktop that illustrates how to use the coding tool to load the files into WinKFP. If you don't plan on ever using WinKFP or programming some of these chassis codes you can go ahead and delete those or all of the datens.

Please send in more feedback so we can make this the best release ever!!

I have the full ISTA/P machine almost done. I will make these changes. So far after doing some disk cleanup, it is 230GB uncompressed.
Appreciate 1