08-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
asudhak
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If the brake system has been maintained correctly, then it is behaving normally. The miles remaining is just an estimate. When the pads are spent, the red parking brake light will illuminate and remain illuminated while driving (with no chime). The pad wear system is 2-stage, which means the CBS estimates wear on the pads based on a predetermind forumla until the pad wear sensor hits the first wear trigger (event). The system does not indicate to the driver that the event took place, but uses the event to better estimate the brake wear pattern of the car. However, if the car is driven differently post the 1st trigger event, then the estimate can be incorrect. An example is if the car is originally driven in the city, then later is switched to highway use. Or, if the car is sold to a new owner that drives it differently. The 2nd trigger event, which illuminates the red brake icon, is the tell that the pads are spent and need to be replaced.

My advice (from 30 years of BMW ownership) is when the pad light does come on, replace the pads and rotors as a set, along with a new sensor.
Thank you. based on your comment, it seems like the brakes may still be in good condition, and I should wait for the 2nd trigger to take place.

just to be sure, I will physically inspect the brakes.
Appreciate 0