08-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Yellow warning means, based on computer's estimation the pad is close to its life ending. Red warning light means the pad is very near its end of life. The red warning is same as a regular brake pad making loud screeching caused by a short tab that only gets to contact the rotors when the pad thickness is reduced to very little. The red light is not based on any estimate, physically the pad that the sensor on has reduced its thickness to very little left.

More info on the BMW brake sensor:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981050

Also, the yellow warning indicator doesn't come on when the sensor reaches first stage. The first stage is only a data point for the computer to be able to make a better estimate on the remaining life of the pad.

A question was why the rear was showing less life than fronts. This happened with mine too, and it was accurate my rear pads were worn out before my fronts. Some claimed it is due to DSC intervening more on the rears, don't know. It could be just that the read pads have less meat to do the job than the fronts. what I know the computer estimate was very accurate on my first set of pads, both front and rear.

Once the first stage is tripped the sensor is not reusable.
My theory on the rears wearing ahead of the fronts is the activation of the dynamic stability control.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0