12-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #2848
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
There are no discounts planned at the moment

The transmission shifting into 3rd happens, when the trans goes into limp mode as this is its default gear. The gear this happens in can not be changed and was chosen by ZF, so you can slowly "limp" home.
Question is why the transmission does it go into into limp mode in the first place?

EDIT: There are 2 Limp gears....3rd and 5th. It gets chosen based on vehicle speed, but that system isn't perfect and there are situations where it is just not able to select 5th...in that situation it will jump to 3rd.
Yep....that's what happened to me while I was going 100+ mph (wide open, running through the gears). Everything seemed fine until it went into limp mode The transmission showed a turbine speed fault, and then jumped into 3rd gear... locking there.....bouncing the tach off of 8,000rpms.....I'm sure it was not good on the motor. Stupid idea to have the transmission do that..... fault or not. I'd rather slip the clutches and cook a transmission vs. throwing a rid through the side of the engine block.

Last edited by iqraceworks; 12-13-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0