View Single Post
      07-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
George@V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Talking Baseline Dyno and more for MY2012 335is DCT

Hi Everyone,

After ~4 months and 3500miles of ownership, I felt it was an appropriate time to gather some baseline dyno data on my completely stock MY2012 335is N54/DCT.

I wanted to gather as much data as I possibly could, so feel free to read on if you'd like!

I took my car to ESP in Sterling, MA, because I've been visiting them for years and have hosted several dyno days there. ESP has a Mustang 1100-SE AWD Chassis Dyno.

Some pictures of my car on the dyno:

Dyno Details:
Ambient temperature was 75degrees F with 80% humidity.

The Mustang Dyno requires us to input vehicle weight (I used 3600pounds) and HP @ 50MPH (I used 11.10 per an EPA PDF document they had).

We hooked up a wideband AFR/Lambda probe on the right side tailpipe. We did not measure boost as I didn't think it was relevant for my baseline.

All dyno runs were in Sport gearbox mode, Sport button depressed, 4th Gear (M4), with DSC completely off. I use 93 octane (10% ethanol) Shell V-Power fuel.

Initially, I wanted to measure from 2500-7000RPM. We did two baseline runs, and during both of these, the car upshifted to 5th gear at 6800RPM, skewing the dyno results. On the third baseline run, we changed the RPM measurement range from 2500-6500RPM to prevent the upshift from skewing the results (referred to as "baseline run" going forward).

With the Weather Correction Factor (WCF), the baseline run achieved 283WHP @5900RPM, and 302ft/lb WTQ at 3000RPM. See below.

Baseline Run Chart with Torque and HP in the Y-Axis.

Baseline Run Chart with Torque and AFR in the Y-Axis.

In the interest of eliminating as many variables as possible for a fair "before" and "after" dyno comparison, I decided to install a new CF intake system with the car still strapped on the dyno! After about 40 minutes, voila:

CF Intake System Installed:

We then performed two more pulls on the dyno with the new intake system. Both these pulls had nearly identical HP/TQ and graph shapes. Mind you, these were technically the fourth and fifth pulls (see above about the first two "duds"), so the car was starting to get heat soaked a bit (note the lower AFR readings below).

With the Weather Correction Factor (WCF), the more rich "CF Intake" run achieved 289WHP @5900RPM, and 312ft/lb WTQ at 3000RPM. See below.

Chart with Torque and HP in the Y-Axis.

Chart with Torque and AFR in the Y-Axis.

While the peak Torque figure (312 versus 302) improved more than the peak HP figure (289 versus 283), the improvement of total area under the curve was what surprised me. Clearly the intake system we installed had a measurable and noticeable gain over the stock intake system. See below:

Stock versus Upgraded Intake Dyno Runs:

I'll be uploading a video of my dyno run later this week as well!

Any questions or comments, please let me know.
Appreciate 0